Arras CF first engaged the services of B5 Direction Limited in January 2012 when Brian Sainsbury carried out an EAS diagnostic on the company. This identified a number of improvement opportunities in the areas of clarifying customer demand classification, improving warehouse management and reducing machine setup times. This was followed some months later by engaging Brian in an improvement project that was completed in March 2013.
Specialising in manufacturing a wide range of fasteners for the furniture and construction industry sectors, Arras CF has continued to grow and actively trades internationally into a number of expanding markets. The company has particular strengths in producing high quality along with a totally flexible delivery service by carefully matching customer demand requirements.
The EAS supported improvement project generated the following impacts and outcomes:
- Increased focus and clarity of customer demand through establishing Runner, Repeater & Stranger categories.
- Aligned warehouse layout to the new demand classifications resulting in reduced picking times of 30-40%.
- Trained the Arras CF production team in practical setup & changeover reduction principles generating savings of 25-30% after implementation.
- Staff fully trained in lean manufacturing principles and applied 5S Workplace Organisation in the Office and Production areas resulting in significant space savings and generating 15-20% increases in production throughput.
- Helped prepare and organise Arras CF for future growth and expansion into much larger premises.
- Clarified goals and redefined organisation structure to support significant increases in sales turnover and business growth activities.
Arras CF continued to grow achieving double turnover and profit in three years, creating new jobs by offering increased operational flexibility. As a result of this, during 2014 the company was presented with the prestigious Gazelle Company award.
Originating in the United States, Gazelle is a movement to support rapidly developing companies. Every year, Äripäev holds a Gazelle Congress, honouring Estonia’s fast growing businesses and their managers.